Spark4Kids offers DofE computer coding and touch-typing courses towards gaining the Duke of Edinburgh (Skills section) award.
- Attendees can start a course at any time during the school year
- All courses have LIVE! tutors supporting attendees during online sessions
- Full training on using our online classroom is provided to attendees
- Sessions run for an hour on Wednesdays, starting at 6pm and 7pm, and Saturdays, starting at 11am.
- Our terms follow the school calendar, for the convenience of participants and their families
To book this online course, please select your options from the “Book Course” section on this page and then click on “Add to Basket”. Once you are happy with your course selection in the Basket, click “View Basket” and complete your booking.
The ONLINE Python 4 DofE course introduces attendees to a powerful, modern programming language that has a gentle learning curve along with lots of useful accompanying documentation. The nature of Python means you can write short programs really quickly, with the platform remaining flexible enough for its use to be limited only by the programmers imagination.
The simplicity of Python, does not impede its application as a serious programming language. In industry, Python is used in many famous organisations including NASA, Digg, Yelp, Google, DropBox, and Pinterest to name a few, and countless experienced programmers and security professionals use Python in their day-to-day work.
This basic introduction to Python will cover the basic language features, including:
- While loops, Arguments, Variables, If statements
- Coding Arithmetic, Counters, Advanced While loops
- Arrays, Object Literals, For loops
- Function definitions, Drawing, and Modulo
All of this makes Python an ideal first “proper” programming language for attendees progressing past the basics of coding.
Note that these weekly sessions are led by a LIVE!, remote tutor who is able to provide attendees guidance in real-time, along with progress reviews during the sessions. At the end of the course, you will receive a Spark4Kids certificate and a Skills Assessor report will be submitted to the Duke of Edinburgh towards your eventual skills award.
DofE Spring Dates 2023
This Spring Term our DofE classes can be joined at any time, from the week commencing 2nd January 2023. Attendees who join after this date will attend sessions into our Summer Term.
- Saturday Sessions will run until the 25th March 2023 (inclusive).
- Wednesday Sessions will run until the 29th March 2023 (inclusive).
- Thursday Sessions will run until the 30th March 2023 (inclusive).
Please make note of the following dates, when there will be no coding sessions:
- Saturday 11th February – Half-term
- Wednesday 16th February – Half-term
- Thursday 17th February – Half-term
- Saturday 18th February – Half-term
Note that the above times are London/UK times – please convert to your local time to ensure the online classes work for you.
Please contact us if you have any questions. You can click on the individual course links below to book or to find out more about each course.
Sessions for each course are held once a week, and children registered on a course will be expected to attend on a weekly basis, on the day and at the time chosen at course registration.
All of our tutors are DBS-checked, and our website as well as virtual LIVE! classrooms have high levels of security built-in, using standard security protocols to secure yours and our data.
All sessions are also monitored continuously, and our tutors will not tolerate bullying, bad language or inappropriate questions, conversations or content.
Follow this link to access the Safeguarding Policy.
Spark4Kids accepts childcare vouchers as fee payment towards all of our courses from the following childcare voucher providers:
- Bravo Benefits (formerly Busy Bees)
- Childcare Grants
- Co-operative Flexible Benefits
- Employers For Childcare
- Enjoy Benefits
- My Family Care
- NW Brown
- Reward Gateway
- UK Government Tax-Free Credit vouchers (via Childcare Choices)
- Wider Plan
To pay for a course using childcare vouchers, select the course you want, add to basket, and then proceed to check-out by clicking “View Basket” (you may need access to your email account).
At check-out, choose “Pay with Childcare Vouchers” as the payment option, and follow the on-screen prompts to complete your booking (you will be emailed Spark4Kids voucher payment details in order for you to complete payment via your childcare providers website).
We can also accept a fee payment that is split between a childcare voucher payment and a standard debit/credit card payment (e.g. if your remaining childcare voucher balance isn’t enough to cover the course fee). To do this, kindly get in touch using the contact details listed in the footer of this page.
Pay Monthly by Instalments
Kindly note that all of our Duke of Edinburgh Bronze, Silver and Gold courses offer the option to pay monthly in instalments.
To take advantage of the group discounts and monthly instalment plans, get in touch (telephone or email) using the contact details at the footer of this page or fill out this form before booking, and we will contact you with information next steps: DofE Group Discount Form
Please note that this form is for submitting a group discount request for our DofE courses – to submit a general enquiry about our DofE courses, please visit this page: Duke of Edinburgh Enquiry
Please read on if you are interested in group discounts for 2 or more DofE attendees.
- 2 participants booking together – 8% off
- 3-5 participants booking as a group – 12% off
- 6-10 participants booking as a group – 20% off
Minimum System Requirements
The system requirements below only apply if your child is attending the online, remotely accessible version of this course.
Icons courtesy of Icon8
- Hardware: Desktop computer, microphone and speakers (or headset with mic), mouse and keyboard, fast internet connection
- Operating System: Windows, Mac, Chromebook
- License: None
- Memory: n/a
- Disk Space: n/a
- Processor: n/a
To find out what your computers’ technical specifications are, kindly use the links below:
Our online classroom software requires minimum internet speeds of 5 Mbps for upload and 15 Mbps for download. The vast majority of broadband providers’ packages will exceed these speeds. To test the speed of your broadband click the link below: